SafetyWing Review 2023:
SafetyWing – The Best Option for Traveling Medical Insurance:
Traveling around the world is almost every mans’ dream because it introduces them to all the different versatile cultures, traditions, climates, and sceneries that they have never experienced before in their life. But this fine trip can become quite tricky if a mishap happens, and you have no way of fixing it since, in the traveling world, you are always considered a nomad that can only rely on his existing utensils to survive all the conditions.
Luckily, your savior in this world exists in the form of travel insurance specifically designed for the nomads, which they can apply and obtain before going on their ideal vacation. So that they never have to worry about any medical emergencies that they might face during their trip.
Now that you are aware of such insurance, you might be wondering, well, there is a pool of insurance providers out there, so who can you trust for this crucial task, especially in the midst of a pandemic? Well, you don’t have to worry at all since we are about to discuss one of the best traveling medical insurance available in the market at present.
SafetyWing is a Norwegian startup that has been providing health insurance to nomads around the world since 2017. It provides these policies to the gig and remote economy workforces and has already raised a substantial amount of $8 million for expanding the products that it is offering.
It is one of the best solutions for travelers that want to be worry-free about their medical expenses while being present in a foreign country. It provides subscription-based policies to its customers, unlike its competitors, which means you can pay for its services every month. It also provides important features like flexible return dates because if, for some unforeseen reason, you have to make your stay in another country longer, you have nothing to worry about because SafetyWing has got you covered.
It provides many other important and crucial advantages to its customers, which we are about to discuss below in detail.
Advantages of getting SafetyWing as your travel insurance:
1- Flexible Policy Conditions:
SafetyWing does not restrict its customers with the multiple policy restrictions and conditions that other travel insurance providers do; these flexibilities include.
- No need to provide any end date, proof, or travel returning: travel insurance companies compel their customers to provide proof of their returning, start and end date of their travel, which countries are they going to travel to, and how long are they going to stay in each of those countries. Compared to this lengthy and time-consuming procedure, you can get the SafetyWing policies for a maximum of 364 days, after which you can just easily get them again.
- Easily purchase any policy even after you have already started your trip: Unlike most travel insurance companies that want you to purchase the policy before you start your trip, SafetyWing lets you purchase any policy that you want on the way.
Additionally, it also provides you the ability to cancel your policy at any time you want if your trip ends earlier than you had expected. This allows you to get a partial refund which most providers don’t give. It automatically rolls over after each month, but you are still given a 3-day grace period that you can utilize to get a full refund of your last installment. If the grace period has ended and you still need your money back, you can apply for it and get a refund with just a $25 fee for cancellation.
2- Completely Affordable Structure with No Hidden Charges:
Covering all of your health problems at such a low price makes SafetyWing one of the most attractive providers out in the market. Opposite to the normal insurance providers who use tiers to differentiate between their customers, SafetyWing has a straightforward pricing structure that depends on your age group.
SafetyWing is providing global coverage at the following prices, which excludes travel in the US. The US’s visit will require an additional charge which is approximately a 45% increase on the current price policy for your particular age group.
- 10-39 years old: USD 40.04 Per 28 days
- 40-49 years old: USD 64.68 Per 28 days
- 50-59 years old: USD 101.64 Per 28 days
- 60-69 years old: USD 137.76 Per 28 days
SafetyWing does not provide coverage to anyone that is over the age of 69 years old. Besides this, any child between the age of 14 days to 10 years old can opt for receiving automatic coverage under the adult policy, but this can only be allowed for 2 children per group.
You can pay for your policies through two ways: the first is to pay for your first 28 days and then allow it to automatically deduct payment from your bank or PayPal account or just set up the start and end of your travel dates (if you are aware of them) or pay for the complete policy at the start upfront. Keep in mind that you will not receive any discount for choosing the latter.
All the policies at the SafetyWing have a deductible standard of $250 and payout with the maximum amount being $250,000. You will not be needed to provide any co-payments for your medical expenses as long as you are outside the United States and claiming them. Moreover, important emergencies like medical evacuation, dental care, and compensation for the interruption of trips will never be subjected to any deduction.
3- Complete Coverage for the COVID-19:
Since the 1st of August 2020, all of your expenses related to Coronavirus will be covered by SafetyWing. This will only be applicable if you had not contracted the virus before purchasing the policy. If you get the virus after getting the policy, all of your costs will be covered by the policy. In case of an existing policy, you have to update it manually to activate the coverage.
4- Complete Coverage for Few of the High-Risk Destination and Activities:
SafetyWing will also cover a few of the “high-risk” activities like recreational skiing, riding motorbikes or scooters, scuba diving (being PADI certified), etc.
Other sports like quad biking, paragliding, martial arts, etc., are not included in this policy. You also need to keep in mind that SafetyWing will not cover any of your expenses related to organized sports that have scheduled games and practices. So, if you are a regular player at a local football team, SafetyWing might not cover for your injuries.
It will also cover all of your travels worldwide which include some of the countries that are deemed high-risk by the other providers, such as India (You will not be covered for getting scammed). There are a few countries that are not covered by their policy which include North Korea, Iran, and Cuba. The people from these three countries can also not purchase any policy from the SafetyWing either.
5- Home Country Visit Coverage:
This is a major coverage for foreigners that want to visit back to their home countries. All of your medical expenses will be covered by SafetyWing, so you never have to worry about anything when going back. This policy is only provided by a few and covers all the incidental home visits with the maximum stay of 30 days and can be done every 90 days. In case you are a US national, this policy will be limited to stay up to 15 days every 90 days.
6- 24/7 Support Team Providing Easy Claims:
SafetyWing provides support to its customers 24/7 along with the standard online claims. Besides this, it also provides additional features like
Upon picking a policy, you will be allowed to go through an online database list that will inform you about all the medical professionals present in your area. This list also contains some of the providers that need you to submit a claim to get direct billing and don’t have to pay anything upfront.
The procedure for this request is fairly simple; you have to log into the website using the member area and then fill out the PDF form; after you are done with this, mail it to the designated email address along with the receipt photographs and any other document that is relevant to the case.
What does SafetyWing Cover?
You might be wanting a simple list of things that SafetyWing covers. Below we are going to list everything that gets covered using SafetyWing.
- Medical Emergencies and Treatments
- All Medical Expenses
- Dental Emergencies
- Boards and Hospital Rooms
- Transportation of your Family Member in Case You Have to Stay longer in a Hospital.
- Evacuation in Case of a Terrorist Activity
- Evacuation for Medical Emergencies
- Accommodation for Natural Disasters
- Lost Luggage Check
- Interruption of Trips
- Delay in Travel
- A Wide Range of Sport Activities
What are the limitations of SafetyWing?
Now you might be thinking that which cases does SafetyWing not cover. Below we are going to discuss what limitations are present in the policies of SafetyWing.
- Lost or Stolen Electronics: SafetyWing will not provide you any coverage for lost or stolen electronics. This might be a deal-breaker for a few people because you cannot cover things like cameras, laptops, or any other equipment’s that you might lose on the road. Unlike other providers, you also can’t get separate coverage for your electronics, but it does provide any luggage that was checked and got lost during the transit. But it is also limited to a maximum amount of $500 per item.
- Pre-Existing and chronic Conditions: SafetyWing does not cover any pre-existing chronic conditions, but it will cover all the acute onset of your condition that is pre-existing.
- Coverage for Rental Cars and Cancellations: It does not cover any reimbursement if you have a change of plans and have canceled your tour or hotel bookings. It doesn’t make that much of a difference for the digital nomads as they are used to staying in one place for a long time. But if you are going to leave for a road trip, it is better to get separate insurance for rental cars.
How to complete a claim with SafetyWing?
You may be wondering now, how can you claim with SafetyWing? Below we are going to list all the necessary steps required for claiming with SafetyWing.
- You need all the receipts of the expenses that you want to get the claim for!
- Go to SafetyWing’s website and download the claim form.
- Fill out the claim form with proper and accurate details.
- After filling out the form, upload it on the website along with all the receipts that you have.
- The confirmation process at SafetyWing takes at most three working days, so wait for your turn.
- Make an account on the Tokio Marine’s Client Zone using the SafetyWing Policy ID. You can utilize this account to track the progress of your claim whenever you want.
- After your claim has been approved, it will take less than 45 days for your money to be reimbursed to your account.
- The pricing is pocket-friendly.
- Completely comprehensive and convenient polices
- Transparent with no hidden charges
- It covers almost the entire world.
- Flexible policies
- Offers coverage for the Coronavirus pandemic
- Automatic deduction from your account each month
- Availability of support team 24/7
- The coverage is basic.
- It does not cover any stolen or lost electronics.
- It does not cover any pre-existing medical or mental conditions or STDs
- Website: www.SafetyWing.com
- Industries: Insurance
- Company Size: 11-50 employees
- Type: Privately Held
- CEO: Sondre Rasch
- Founded: 2017
- Specialty: Health-Based Coverage Worldwide
- Head Office: 470 Ramona Street Palo Alto, California 94301, US
- uCompares rating: 4.9/5
After reading the whole review, you should have a better understanding of what SafetyWing has to offer. Medical insurance that can take care of all of your expenses worldwide can prove a great asset during your trips to other countries. It can help you save a lot of money and time in the long run.
This will also allow you to have peace of mind when you are in a foreign country because you are always aware that someone has your back all the time. And in case there is an unexpected mishap during the trip, it has got you covered. Therefore, we would definitely recommend you to get the services of SafetyWing if you are considering traveling to other countries.
We hope that our review has made it easier for you to decide as we have tried our best to bring all the necessary information to you related to SafetyWing. Our team wishes you the best of luck!