Photo Editing Apps For Mac:
Are you are a Mac user and looking for the best photo editing app to convert your photos into something breathtaking?
You have come to the right place because we have compiled a list of some of the best photo editing apps for Mac that you can use to enhance your pictures.
A wide range of available iOS photo editing apps allow you to add filters and effects to your iPhone photos, but if you want more control over editing, bring focus to picture, remove unwanted objects, and make your photos truly eye-catching, you need advanced tools with a variety of features.
With plenty of available options on the market, choosing the best photo editing apps for Mac is quite difficult. That’s why we have rounded some of the budget-friendly photo editing apps for Mac with advanced tools.
Let’s explore the list.
Best Photo Editing Apps For Mac 2021:
Here is the list of the Best Photo Editing Apps for Mac that you can use in 2021 and 2022.
- Adobe Photoshop CC
- DxO PhotoLab 4
- Adobe Photoshop Elements 2021
- Adobe Photoshop Lightroom
- Affinity Photo
- Adobe Photoshop Lightroom
- Fotor Photo Editor
- Skylum Luminar 4
- Pixlr Desktop
Adobe Photoshop CC is the best photo editing software with the most powerful and advanced image editing tools. The tool helps to add various effects, filters, layers, enhancements, and much more. It comes with an intuitive interface to effectively drag the images, assemble visuals, and set a timeline. Moreover, the tool offers various features to add textures, adjust colors, saturation or white balance, and other artistic filters to improve the look of your photos.
Further, Photoshop CC offers built-in touchscreen controls and gestures to scroll through multiple images easily. Along with this, the software provides multiple 3D tools that you can use for realistic rendering and faster performance.
In addition to Mac, the software is also compatible with Windows and iOS (iPad only) operating systems.
- Automatic tools for auto-correction
- Non-destructive editing
- RAW file processing
- Photo Collage, Instant Film Mockups, Textured Geometric
- Painting, Graphics, and 3D tools
- Clean and intuitive interface
- Step-by-step tutorials for beginners
For basic features, it offers a free 7-day trial. Paid plans are also available:
- Photography (20 GB): $9.99/month
- Single App: $20.99/month
- All Apps: $52.99/month
2- DxO PhotoLab 4:
DxO PhotoLab 4 is the most advanced photo editing tool for Mac with great features. One interesting thing about the app is its lab-derived optical corrections that automatically correct the distortions, sharpness vignetting, and color aberrations. The ClearView Plus tool offered by DxO helps to easily erase haze from your images, restore natural radiance and enhance the looks of your photo in just a single click.
Moreover, it comes with UPoint Technology, which gives you maximum control over editing and helps in intuitive and effective adjustments of saturation, white balance, brightness, highlights, etc. Further, with the ColorWheel option, you can easily select the best color ranges from 8 different channels to enhance your photos.
Further, dynamic DxO PhotoLibrary gives instant access to the photograph you’re looking for. Plus, it also enables you to add simple or complicated keywords to better organize your images.
- Smart Lighting tool helps to recover lost details from the image and creates more beautiful portraits.
- Multi-setting equalizer
- Powerful adjustment tools
- Wide range of Brush tools
- Red-eye remover, Background remover, and Repair tool
- Directly share edited photos to social media platforms like Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Flickr, and more.
Offers 30-day free trial. For access to advanced features, you need to buy a license for $129/lifetime.
If you are looking for a user-friendly photo editing tool for Mac with an intuitive interface, you might consider trying Adobe Photoshop Elements 2021. The tool offers Adobe Sensei AI-Powered features that enable you to transform your favorite pictures into moveable photos (2D and 3D) or animated GIFs, which can be easily shared on social media platforms.
Moreover, it helps to make superb landscapes by replacing skies, removing haze and unwanted objects from photos, and much more. Besides, you can add motivational quotes personalized messages to give a personalized touch to your images. It helps to automatically adjust the facial features, like turning frowns, open closed eyes, whiten teeth, and more. Additionally, you can easily soften the skin texture to make it look natural.
- Select the object in the image to make isolated edits.
- Fine-tune face tilt feature helps to adjust the position of a person’s face in the photo
- Amazing animation options
- Create 2D and 3D animated GIFs
- User-friendly interface
- Wide range of filters and effects
Free/ Paid version starts from $99.99/full license
Snapseed is one of the most popular Mac photo editing apps with plenty of features. The main reason behind Snapseed’s popularity it’s absolutely free to use and requires no subscriptions. Moreover, it is a user-friendly and ad-free app. the Auto-tune feature offered by the app lets you automatically tweak the contrast, exposure, sharpness, colors, and much more.
Interestingly, Snapseed comes with 29 tools and filters, including Raw develop, Healing brush, HDR, White balance, Tune image, Face enhance, etc. The Double Exposure option helps to blend two photos to give them a unique appearance. Plus, the selective filter brush assists in editing certain portions of the photo.
Besides, the app enables you to tweak RAW DNG files and export them as JPG. The most remarkable feature of the app is Head Pose, which lets you revise your head position, change your pupil’s size, and even adjust the range of your smile.
- Standard tools like crop, rotate and straighten
- Tune-Image to adjust color and exposure automatically with
- The healing feature helps to remove unnecessary objects
- Double Exposure to fuse two photos
- Add fine glow to images with Glamour Glow feature
- Grainy films, Frames, Grunge
- Multiple filters and text fonts
Photoshop Lightroom by Adobe is another easy-to-use Mac photo editing software for both beginners and pros. The app gives you everything you require to edit, organize, and store your images. Plus, you can easily share your edited photos to various social media platforms, such as Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat, and many more. It helps transform raw images with a wide range of features, such as sliders, amazing filters, healing brush, fixing, and blurring.
It comes with local hue adjustments to precisely alter hue, saturation, contrast, sharpness, white balance, darkness, highlights, and more. Besides, Lightroom gives you the ability to easily import your own graphical watermarks on your photos to give a personal touch. Interactive tutorials are also available for beginners.
- Stunning presets for faster photo editing
- Sliders to instantly adjust exposure, color, and fine details
- User-friendly interface
- Import your own graphical watermarks
- Basic editing features like crop, rotate and straighten
- Step-by-step tutorials
Free/ In-app purchase ($1.99 – $59.99 per item)
6- Affinity Photo:
Affinity Photo, developed by Serif Labs, is one of the best Mac photo editing apps for beginners and professionals. The app provides lightning-speed performance even when editing large-sized images. It allows real-time photo editing with loads of toolset, such as 100+ Megapixels image support, magical brush to remove unwanted objects from the background, effective retouching, and much more.
Along with this, affinity photo offers a huge list of adjustments, filters, and beautiful effects that can be blended to create fantastic complex image compositions. Create amazing panoramas with the aid of advanced stitching algorithms and automatic image alignment.
- Adjust vibrance, black point, exposure, clarity, white balance, saturation, highlights, and many more
- Non-destructive filter, effects, and other basic editing tools like patch, burn and dodge.
- Advanced refinement algorithms to achieve high levels of accuracy
- Advanced lens corrections
- HDR merge, Focus stacking, and Tone Mapping
- Raw image editing
- Batch processing, Panorama Stitching, 360 image editing
- Huge 100+ Megapixels support
- Numerous tutorials for beginners
Free 90-day trial/ Paid plan starts from $10/month
7- Fotor Photo Editor:
Fotor is one of the most powerful photo editing apps for Mac, with a wide range of amazing features and tools to give a professional look to your photos. The app offers more than 100 charming filters and allows you to adjust contrast, brightness, vignetting, saturation, highlights, white balance shadow, and much more.
Additionally, it provides various retouching tools, such as Teeth whitening, Red-eye remover, Wrinkle remover, Blemish remover, etc. Fotor also comes with the latest effects, borders, and stickers to transform your images into artwork. It lets you directly share edited photos to social media platforms like Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Flickr, and more.
- Touch Up tool for skin smoothening and reshape your face
- 100,000+ design resource elements (graphic shapes, backgrounds, icons, textures, etc.)
- Standard features like blur, crop, rotate and resize
- Advanced HDR technology to bring out original colors of the photo
- Unique Background remover option to erase background
- Text Editor feature helps to add text to your photos by using several fonts
- Amazing clip art design stickers and
- Collage Maker with a wide range of templates (Classic, Artistic, and Funky)
Free trial/ Paid plan: $8.99 per month and $39.99 per year
Pixelmator is a full-featured photo editing app for Mac with a super-friendly interface. The app helps to easily enhance photos in single-tap with pre-designed color presets. With the aid of a huge number of non-destructive, professional-grade editing tools, it enables you to create beautiful compositions, apply gorgeous effects, add stunning filters, paint, draw, and much more to give a super-look to your images.
Moreover, Pixelmator offers advanced adjustment tools like Levels, Curves, and more. Other basic features include blur, clone, desaturate, contrast, sharpen, etc. Further, the app comes with plenty of painting tools, including double-texture brushes, advanced color-picking tools, and an impressive Paint Engine.
- Easily adjust exposure, brightness, white balance, contrast, highlights, shadows, etc.
- Non-destructive editing tools
- Instantly remove unwanted objects with the Repair tool
- More than 100 artist-designed brushes
- Basic tools for Crop, rotate and straighten
- Blending modes, Layer styles, Shapes and Texts
9- Skylum Luminar 4:
Skylum Luminar 4 is an innovative photo editing app for Mac. Luminar 4 is popular for its cutting-edge AI technology, which lets you automatically adjust the toning, brightening, and clarifying of your photo. Along with this, the app is packed with unique tools that enable you to make eye-catching photos in various photography genres, such as Landscape, Portrait, Travel, etc.
One remarkable feature of Luminar 4 is its Sky Replacement tool that helps detect and replace the sky in your images. Besides, it comes with plenty of other functionalities, like Batch processing, Lens-correction, Landscape enhancer toolset, Noise removal tool, Dodge & Burn tools, and non-destructive filters. There is no need to spend your precious time learning how to use Luminar because it’s very easy to use.
- A wide range of AI-Powered features, such as Sky replacement, Skin enhancer, and Sunrays tools
- Insert new objects in your images with the Augmented tool
- Prevent damaging faces and skin with the Structure slider feature
- Smart Contrast option to preserve details and colors of a photo
- Erase tool assists to remove any unwanted objects from your images
- User-friendly workplace
- 24/7 customer support service
Free/ One-time payment of $89.00 for lifetime
PhotoDirector is a fantastic Mac photo editor app with loads of tools to improve, stylize, and animate your images. Just like Luminar 4, PhotoDirector comes with AI-powered editing tools to easily and instantly adjust color, brightness, white balance, saturation, lighting, sharpness, and much more.
Moreover, it also provides basic features, like crop, rotates, slim, and one-touch to improve the minute details of your photos. One interesting feature of the app is its Animation tool that lets you transform your photos into amazing and realistic animations. Plus, thousands of beautiful filters, stunning effects, and attractive frames are also available.
Besides, a unique built-in interface gives you the ability to share photos on Facebook, Flickr, Instagram, Snapchat, Pinterest, and other social media platforms.
- Completely change the sky with the Sky Replacement tool
- Animated overlay features help to add movement to your still images
- Adjust brightness, contrast, saturation, warmth, and more
- Eliminate unwanted objects via the Object removal tool
- Magic brush, Light rays, Face shaper, and Gradient masks
- Collage maker with tones of frames and backgrounds
- Face and Body beautifying tools
Free/ Paid subscriptions: $2.99/month and $17.99/year
11- Pixlr Desktop:
Pixlr Desktop is another powerful photo editing app for Mac. It has a user-friendly interface and a huge range of dynamic features. The app doesn’t require any account creation; simply download the app and start editing.
Moreover, Pixlr offers over 2 million combinations of effects, filters, and overlays to make your photos look stunning. In addition, you can keep track of your favorite effects and overlays by clicking the Favorites button. Along with this, the app lets you apply frames, borders, stickers, remove blur eyes, and much more.
- Face-focused features, such as red-eye remover, blemish remover, smoothen skin, whiten teeth, and more.
- Auto-Fix tool to easily adjust the color of the photo
- Adjust exposure, contrast, brightness, sharpness, highlights
- Double Exposure to create an array of effects
- Focal blur aids to remove noise
- Color Splash option to focus out the single color with
- Pencil Drawings, Doodle, and Ink Sketches
- Collage Maker with multiple layout, background, and spacing options
- Add captions, text, stickers, etc.
Free/ Paid Subscriptions: $1.99/month and $11.99/year
TouchRetouch is a much-needed addition to your apps collection. Unlike other apps, TouchRetouch doesn’t deal with the basic stuff, like whiten teeth, red-eye removal, sky replacement, etc. Instead, the primary purpose of the app is to eliminate unwanted objects that make photos unattractive.
The app comes with all the tools to remove any object, such as wires, pimples, blemishes, powerlines, etc., from your photos. Interestingly, it also lets you remove people from your photos. With TouchRetouch, removing unnecessary objects is very easy and straightforward; simply mark the object that you don’t want in your photo, and the app will automatically remove it. Along with this, the Clone Stamp tool offered by the app assists in erasing defects and also duplicate objects in the images. Easy-to-follow video tutorials are also available for beginners as well as for professionals.
- Easily remove wires, surface breakers, powerlines, photobombers, people, etc.
- One-Touch fixes to make flawless photos
- Blemish and pimple remover
- Clone Stamp feature to duplicate objects
- Easy-to-follow tutorials
Single time purchase ($1.99)
Well, this is the list of 12 Best Photo Editor Apps for Mac that are reliable and trustworthy. We hope this article gives you deep knowledge about photo editing apps, and now you know which app is right for you. Choose any of the above-mentioned photo editing apps for Mac to convert your pictures into artwork.
Our vote is for Snapseed, an easy-to-use app with all the basic editing features and is perfect for beginners.
If you are a professional and looking for apps with the most advanced editing tools, we recommend trying Affinity Photo and Adobe Lightroom. If you need to make perfect and amazing collages, Fotor is the best choice for you.
Try TouchRetouch to effectively remove unwanted objects from your images with a single click.
But before purchasing any app, always use the free trial offered by photo editor apps to understand whether it offers all the features you need or not. Purchase the app only when you are satisfied with the trial version.